Skin Types 101: Everything You Need to Know About Different Skin Types
As The Complexion Authority®, we know a thing or two when it comes to achieving beautiful-looking skin. Our skin, which is the largest organ on the body, is the base of any makeup routine and we want you to feel confident selecting products that are geared towards your individual skin type. There are four distinguishable skin types recognized by the beauty and skincare professionals, alike: dry, oily, combination and normal. This deep dive will help you identify your own skin type and build a custom regimen for your own unique needs.
Understanding the skin types:
- Dry skin types produce less sebum oil than normal skin types.
- Oily skin types produce exceed sebum
- Combination skin contains both normal and oily areas, with excess oil production typically occurring in the t-zone.
- Normal skin has a healthy oil/water balance with very limited blemishes.
While it’s important to understand which category your skin type is, these classifications are not the only means to determining which products would work best for your skin. There are several skin conditions that our products formulate to treat.
Understanding the skin condition:
- Sensitivity, which is characterized by redness and irritation
- Dehydration, which is characterized by tightness, dry patches and flakes
- Blemishes, which is characterized by pesky blemishes and clogged pores
- Aging, which is characterized by fine lines, wrinkles and sagging skin
- Uneven texture or tone, which is characterized by dark or light spots.
Bearing these conditions in mind, when looking for skincare and complexion beauty products, look for key word indicators that treat the issues, or conditions, you may be dealing with. The skin conditions are interchangeable and not unique to the skin types.
Understanding the products needed
- Dry skin types
- Dry skin types require ingredients, like Agave Extract and Sodium Hyaluronate, that lock in lasting hydration for a luminous glow.
- Pro Tip: Add drops of Precious Metals Shimmering Dry Oil Elixir into your favorite complexion products for added moisture.
- Oily skin types
- Oily skin types benefit from ingredients that help refine skin texture and tone, like salicylic acid, for visibly clearer, healthier-looking skin.
- Pro Tip: Use a detoxifying mask, like Dirty Girl, 2-3 times a week to deep cleanse congested pores.
- Combination skin types
- Combination skin types require ingredients that promote overall skin wellness, like the Energy Complex and Ceretin® Complex.
- Pro Tip: Try the Balancing Act Mattifying Skin Perfecting Powder to control excess oil in the t-zone.
- Normal skin types
- Normal skin types benefit from ingredients, like Aloe and Energy Complex, to help soothe skin and rejuvenate it for a fresher look and feel.
- Pro Tip: Cleanse the day away with Forever Clean Gentle Cleanser to melt away makeup, dirt and debris, while nourishing the skin.